Saturday, April 11, 2009

Wink and language settings

When I installed Ubuntu, I had set the language to "English, India" Evidently some programs are not designed to accept that gracefully. I installed the nice presentation and tutorial creation software called "Wink" and I found that all the menu items, tool bars, and other messages were replaced by place holders. Being a programmer myself I realized that they are the mnemonics used internally by the program to patch in the message from the appropriate language file as the program loads. As there was no setting for Indian English, it did not know what to do next. Maybe the Wink developer (http://www.debugmode.com ) could consider a graceful default if a particular language setting was not available.

Anyway, I shifted to UK English and the program works fine now.

No comments:

Post a Comment