Thursday, April 2, 2009

Swinging through SVN

I have most of my files on an SVN (Subversion) version control system (Hosted at Dreamhost...they are quite good at Subversion hosting) When I migrated from Windows to Linux, I now have the problem of migrating my SVN client too.

On Windows, there is this fantastic SVN client called TortoiseSVN. It is simply a no-brainer. Once you install it, just right click on a Windows explorer file listing and you can get all the required SVN commands at your finger tips. Those who are not familiar with the way Subversion works, will need to read the help file on it. It should not take more than half an hour. Read about the following commands at the very least and how to perform them using TortoiseSVN: checkout, commit, update, add, rename.

There is no version of TortoiseSVN for Linux. Instead I installed RapidSVN. It does not include a right-click context menu to any file-listing. (The concept of Windows Explorer is not present in Linux as far as I know. They have file managers and you can use one of many. Or even several of them together) RapidSVN has its own user interface. Fortunately, it recognized my external hard-disk containing the folders and partitions made in Windows XP Home. Then working with RapidSVN was again a nobrainer. You have to go to the Bookmarks menu and add an existing working folder to RapidSVN. It easily recognized my external hard-disk and the folders under version control. After that, you will get all the files in that folder in an explorer kind of environment. And then you can perform all the Subversion commands from there.

It worked quite well for me. Now I can keep working both between my Windows machine as well as my Linux box.

No comments:

Post a Comment